Published: 02 Feb 2017
What you choose to eat, and how much, is so important to your health and your waistline. This means that if you’re eating too many foods that are high in fat, salt and sugar you’re more likely to put weight on, especially if you’re not as active as you should be.
Becoming overweight or obese can increase your chances of suffering from health problems such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease and some cancers. Luckily it’s never too late to make some healthy changes to your diet and One You is here to help.
Why should I?
- For your family – healthier foods help your kids get what they need to grow and be healthy. It will also teach them about healthy food choices for themselves when they grow up.
- Save money – preparing and cooking your own meals is generally cheaper than buying a takeaway or a ready meal.
- Your health – eating well can help you feel your best, stop you gaining weight and lower your risks of getting some diseases.
What can I do?
- Cut back on sugar – it’s often added to the food you eat everyday by manufacturers so watch out for this when you shop.
- Eat less fat - check the labels in the supermarket and swap high-fat foods for ones that are lower in saturated fat.
- Watch out for salt – there’s already salt in most of the food you eat so you can stop automatically adding more.
Take a look at the One You website for lots of ideas to help you eat more healthy food or download the Easy Meals app and get recipes straight to your phone. You can also take the How Are You quiz to find out about lots of other way you can look after your health.