Published: 20 Mar 2017
It’s really important to be active so that you stay healthy as you get older but the good news is that this doesn’t mean lots of intense workouts. Just 10 minutes of brisk walking can get the blood pumping and leave you slightly short of breath but it will also make you feel great, improve your mood and reduce your risk of long-term health problems.
Take a look at these 10 steps to help you get started:
- Take 10 minutes – You need 150 minutes of exercise a week so breaking it down into 10 minutes bursts makes it easier.
- Download the Active 10 app – It will track your walking and tell you when you’re walking briskly and how many minutes you’ve been doing it for.
- Get your shoes on – You won’t need any fancy gear or figure hugging Lycra. All you need is a pair of shoes with good support to get going.
- Keep it brisk – Picking up the pace to get your heart rate going will unlock the most health benefits. You’ll be breathing faster and feeling warmer when you’re walking briskly.
- Do it anytime – Whether it’s walking on the school run, taking the dog out or walking to work it’s one of the easiest ways to fit activity into your day.
- Make it fun – There are plenty of ways to keep walking fun and fresh by inviting your friends, listening to music or exploring Surrey’s countryside.
- Don’t be nervous – Many people don’t like exercising because they feel nervous, uncomfortable and unsure about it. With walking there’s none of that as it’s just a case of putting one foot in front of the other.
- Stay motivated – The Active 10 app will keep you motivated with lots of tips and tricks so download it now.
- Build up to 30 – Walking briskly for 10 minutes is the perfect start to a healthy, happier you but the more you can do the better. Why don’t you build up to 30 minutes?
- Other ways to be active – If walking isn’t for you there are still lots of ways you can stay fit. See how Active Surrey could help.
Take a look at the One You website for more information on walking as well as advice on other ways to stay healthy.